dras knowledge

Thursday, September 09, 2004

I don't need to prove to you I'm sick, or that alt-med made me well.

As perverse as it may seem, it is much, much easier tohave a disease (or government conspiracy, or both) toblame for your misfortunes than it is to accept thatyour problems are due to chance ("fate"), genetics orpersonal choices (or non-choices - the failure tochoose is a choice, the failure to act is an action).Putting on my Nomex shorts for the inevitable flaming.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you're expecting it:

You are not me! How dare you tell me my illness is either my own fault, psychosomatic, or just plain a part of my life I have to learn to accept and deal with!! If you were me you'd know that my illness is real, because you'd be sick. Too sick to spend time trying to rationalize away other peoples conditions the way you do. You should be glad you are not me, because you would be content to just suffer it out at home and not do anything about it, and let it take you. I, on the other hand, am committed to finding out what's making me sick. Maybe so that we can learn how to prevent people like you from getting sick like me. Unlike you, I'll remain optimistic that a cause will be found, and that I can get better. It's people like you with attitudes blah, blah, blah...

I could go on, but is that enough? Maybe I could use the word "you" a few more times?

Sincerely, I was not inclined to reply to the CSF thread because I've expected and have shared sentiments in the replies of others on the list, and I see myself much less enlightened and very much less eloquent or complete in a reply.

One additional tidbit commenting on our current culture of illness. I've read some personal journals from individuals living in the mid to late 1800's. I've wondered if the word "melancholy" could have been a a buzz-word of the time. People would often excuse themselves or others from tasks or describe interruptions in daily routines due to feelings of melancholy. Seems they overall accepted these perhaps exacerbations of a chronic conditions or depression in themselves and others. They realized that there will be days when they can be at top performance, and days when they cannot. And that some suffer more than others. Social dogma and qualification for benefits or disability was not as big a factor back then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home