dras knowledge

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Comments on Calvinism by an Illiterate

I have a relevent (I hope) comment about whether free will truly exists. I once watched a PBS Nova episode that spent a whole hour discussing whether there was a distinguishing difference between the human species and the rest of the animal kingdom. They went off on artistic expression, communication, psychologic behavior and even religion, but none could be scientificantly equivocable as being exclusive to the human species. (I guess it's hard to know whether certain animal behavior isn't demonstrating worship to Diety.) But, they did find the answer; an indisputable, scientifically derived difference!! Among all organisms on planet earth, the human species is the only one that the individual, when given the oppurtunity (and no other choice), can CHOOSE whether or not to procreate. Wow, the ability to make seemingly a moral decision.

I bet this is as close as science can come in supporting the existance of free will. I am skeptical as to whether such unresolvable philisophical debate has much value. If you want the all important and epic question Who am I? answered, you're much more likely to find the truth in religion than in the humanities and sciences. After all, isn't the cause of such debate boil down to things like accountability, dissonance, feelings of remorse, etc?


That we are "who we are due to the combined result of our learning and our genes" is what (so-called) alternative medicine [chiropractic in particular] advocates preach is the philosophy of the science behind (so-called) allopathic medicine. I've found it odd that a philosophical argument is used to attack a very practical approach to the practice of medicine. I don't think science professes to be the one true religion. Like I've said above, the truth on these things are available from religion, not science.


dras

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home