dras knowledge

Monday, January 19, 2004

Do all Mormons do multi-level marketing?

An associate lost an LDS friend by being critical and skeptical of the "Young Essential Oils" they were peddling. The following is my sincere reply.-dr

I have heard this story. When you hear things like this, about all you can do is sigh, shake your head and admit to the existence of nuttiness. It's also a reminder to be aware of what's going on around you. Part of my involvement on this list is just that. I want to be aware of things in order to be wary of them, and to pass the wisdom along to family and neighbors.

I'm not the guru of LDS apologetics, but I know stories like this are used to insinuate, slander, or otherwise put the Church as a body in poor light. I can attempt to put the LDS ties in the story in a little perspective. I live in a suburban, almost rural area between SLC and the "Sunset" mentioned in the story. There's over 25 acres of orchards and alfalfa bordering my property on 3 sides. Nevertheless, I am within a 5 minute walking distance of three LDS meetinghouses. Two host three separate congregations on Sunday, the other hosts two. Each with over 50 families. My point is, community and church and barely separable. Now consider that all the leaders, teachers, and ministers in the LDS church (outside regional general authorities) are volunteer laymen, with full time occupations outside Church responsibilities. It is amazing all things work as well and consistently as they do. But with tens of thousands of parish leaders in different capacities, we can expect to occasionally see things that are corrupt, non-Christian, and plain not right.

Included in the LDS cannon of scripture are inspired writings of Joseph Smith called the Doctrine and Covenants. In this, "priestcrafts" are spoken of. The admonition is for leaders and members to be wary of Church authority being used for anything outside the strict definition of the calling. Specifically, to exercise any kind of power over another, or to get personal gain. It is inferred that these priestcrafts will be common.

I cannot be a judge of other men. Sometimes I suppose someone in cognitive dissonance can rationalize all kinds of behavior to themselves and others as being "right." The banner I raise says that our Father in Heaven, above all else, is concerned with our spiritual salvation. Temporal matters are a distant second, just ask Job. I often preach to the list that one shouldn't look to medical clinicians to address their spiritual needs. Closer to home, I preach one shouldn’t trust to Church leaders to advise on their medical, political, business, and other temporal questions. I suspect local leaders that advise in these matters in the capacity of their leadership position, are loosing their focus on the priority and are in danger of forfeiting salvation.

It is unfortunate you see the nuttiness. Please spend a week, or an hour, in my neighborhood (we'd love to host you) and I'm sure you'd see first-hand a very different picture of the Church and community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home