dras knowledge

Friday, June 04, 2004

What is health fraud?

I was once given about 40 minutes to speak with a group of Associate degree nursing students about Health Insurance fraud. I touched a little on how ineligible services can be misrepresented on insurance claims. Thinking back, I could have done much better by presenting a separate topic on EBM. What seemed plain to me, ie., surface EMG does not equal EMG, or prolotherapy does not equal trigger point injections, was taken by this group as insurance companies denying potentially beneficial care.

Since then I have continued to be amazed at the lack of sometimes common-sense critical thinking of Allied Healthcare professionals* when it comes to so-called Integrative medicine. Many seem to be eager to embrace it based solely on proponent published propaganda.

-dras

*I confess, I've been equally amazed at physicians, pharmacists and large health institutions eagerness to accept some obvious dubious practice or treatment as well. *sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home