dras knowledge

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Cinnamon for Diabetes, One Study

A friend has asked me about cinnamon for diabetes, citing this report:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/26/12/3215


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


As mentioned, the group tested is very small. I think that there are good indications to have this, or similar study replicated elsewhere before these results can be too credible. In order to understand about any physiologic process of cinnamon, I would like to see: More people studied, better tracking of glucose levels throughout the trial, a diet diary for all groups tested, domestic spice as well as manufactured supplement testing groups, and maybe better blinding. I wonder whether there was any aromatic, taste, or other difference between the cinnamon and wheat flour pills. Per the report, there was hardly any difference in outcomes between the 3 doses of cinnamon. I wonder what we'd see if the intervention was a toothpick dipped in cinnamon oil (a favorite of my father's), or chomping down a Hot Tamale candy or Big Red chewing gum (my favorite) after each meal. Maybe one group could just burn cinnamon candles all day long.

And, even though it's obviously "all-natural", we should look at side-effects as well. A co-worker of mine has an anaphylaxis-type allergy to cinnamon. Is substantial doses of cinnamon hard on the kidneys or liver? Or, how about us GERD folks? I think I would prefer being around the cinnamon-eaters over the garlic-eaters at any rate.

I don't think I could recommend commercial cinnamon supplements based on this report. But, it's indeed worthy of looking into. It would be too cool to find out adding a little cinnamon can make a meaningful impact. Any type II's out there, let's hear your n=1 reports using whatever cinnamon "supplement" you might have handy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home