dras knowledge

Friday, October 06, 2006

HOW THE CONTROVERSIAL YET POPULAR SUPPLEMENT BUSINESS EMERGED IN UTAH

http://www.time.com/time/insidebiz/article/0,9171,1541294,00.html
>
> State of Reliefs
> HOW THE CONTROVERSIAL YET POPULAR SUPPLEMENT BUSINESS EMERGED IN UTAH

I'm glad someone like the TIMES is finally bringing some critical attention to the supplement industry here in Utah. I've commented several times on this list some disdain about the MLM corporate presence here.

I think BigNeutra understands all to well the false business foundation that is MLM and is smart enough to see the twilight of dusk on it's American markets. All the better for us, and too bad for the Chinese and whoever else.

I will however point out some miss-impressions in the article from my point of view as a native. I believe that if there is any predisposition to the marketing of MLM supplements here in Utah it is not based in theism. The religious ties are made by sly marketers who, "when in Rome," trump up the significance of anecdotal historical events or statements. There is no official, formal, or even common preaching that
infers the LDS church, or its membership at large, is antagonistic to mainstream medicine.

As a result of religious ideals or otherwise, there is a prominent entrepreneurial spirit within our culture. We have more new business start-ups per ca pita in Utah (and probably more bankruptcies and failures) I think than most other states. Twenty-five years ago,before NuSkin, Amway was all the rage. Always at Church-wide conferences, our leaders exhort us to be self-reliant, industrious, and to stay out of debt. I guess a "home-based business opportunity" could be implicated in this, but I have yet to make the connection.

I've never thought of becoming a salesman. In grade school I was always last in my class for selling chocolate or wrapping paper. I hated the idea of taking money on profit from family or friends. At age 19 and on my own volition, I submitted papers and was "called" to be a missionary. After 18-months I was given the choice to either go home or continue proselyting in Japan for six more months. I loved
serving the people so much that I could think of no other choice but to stay. My point is that I was not selling anything and received no wages or commission. So the author's "compulsory" mission ties to doing MLM back home does not hold water in my book.

Despite the sometimes quirky nature and confusing tendencies among us, I think our communities here are the best anyone could ask to live in. I know all my neighbors, we have block parties and drive each others kids to soccer practice. We still take over casseroles when the nearby family is in need, and go caroling during the Holidays. I wouldn't trade this nutritional supplement capital to live in any other
place in the world. Oh, and by the way, we're not that arid, just check the local forecast.

Nawledge

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home