dras knowledge

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Omens or Chance Happenings, What We Believe

Dr. James Laidler of Portland, Or said:
I am gradually coming around to the idea that
some people WANT to be fooled -
> they would rather believe palatable nonsense rather
> than unpleasant truths.
> So be it - I'm just glad I'm not one of them. As my
> son might say, "Bummer
> being you, dude!"

I reply:

Today, (seriously) I ended up on the hood of left-turning car that a most hit me as I crossed the street. Then, I found a good-sized live garden snake in my lawn as I mowed, which has never happened in October with temperature in the 60's. Nearby, was a dead grouse, which had apparently been hit by a car and made it as far as half way across my yard before collapsing dead.

Is it human nature to search for omens or to try to make some kind of constructive sense out of what logical reasoning understands as random happenstance?

I can definitely see how "random" events surrounding more epic issues, like disease or illness, can generate powerful (implausible) convictions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home