dras knowledge

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Can a Doctor Bill Insurance for Self-Treatment?

> "I've done physical therapy treatments on myself, and didn't realize I was missing out on a source of income. I wonder if I can bill retroactively?"<<

Most health insurance policies will have a written exclusion for services rendered by a member of the immediate family. That might include yourself, but I'm not sure. There are probably laws about whether MD's can self-prescribe drugs, and Medicare rules about Dr.'s self-referring patients.

Speaking extremely cynically, I say go for it! What's wrong with a doctor diagnosing and treating his own malady, and getting his insurance to pay for it? A doctor is a doctor, after all. How about a mental health practioner billing for a self-diagnosed mental health condition, and all the therapy sessions (s)he self-performed to treat it? I'll bet we're all expert at self-determining to what extent certain activities should qualify for some kind of business expense deduction on our taxes. So, I'm sure health professionals can decide the same for what self-evaluation and self-care should be paid by their insurance.

Am i right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home